Tuesday, August 26, 2008

When being right is wrong... by: Ian MacKenzie


There was a time in my life when I just had to be right. I would go to great lengths to prove to the other party(s) how right I was. Funny thing, no one ever thanked me for setting them straight. For all the knowledge I had :P, people rarely asked me to enlighten them.

It can take a long time to figure out you’re just being a jerk! Now I try hard to keep my trap shut. I’m not perfect and sometimes slip back into know-it-all-ness, but the predictable response back reminds me that it’s not always right to be right.

Gail Blanke suggests four questions to ask yourself next time you’re feeling “right”:

  1. Do I want to be right, or do I want to be happy?
  2. What’s more important to me: making someone wrong for the moment or having a great long-term relationship?
  3. What would happen if I let go of the urge to correct and concentrated instead on the rewards of connecting?
  4. Could I let someone else be right for just a minute before I say what I think?

1 comment:

Miss Elle said...

wow. an enlightening post. those are powerful questions. :)