Sunday, October 12, 2008

caught in the act!

i am so mad and at the same time so disappointed with my eldest child. i caught him lying, and really caught in the act and lying to his teeth! and i gave him a good spanking for that. wish i didn't have to do the spanking part because it made me feel so bad afterwards. i promised myself that i would never spank my kids unless for a very serious reason or wrongdoing. guess i broke that promise...

there are a whole lot of things that i hate and the most that i detest is lying (who isn't?) in fact, told my children time and again to never, ever lie. wish i knew where they'd learn to do that... i never lied to them before, even in things that are sometimes beyond their comprehension. i earnestly and honestly try to answer their questions, whatever it is, to the best of my knowledge and in such a manner where the answer will be simple enough for an 11, 9 and 6 year old child to understand. somehow i reckon that i will have to be firm with them when it comes to discipline otherwise they may become somebody that i wouldn't want them to be when they grow up. this early, my eldest is showing signs of a rebellious attitude like making faces and banging on something when he doesn't get his way and like when her mom scolds him. when this happens, i just talk and explain to him that his actions are unnecessary and so disrespectful, then i try putting him on the opposite end of the situation and see how he reacts if those things were done to him. he seems to understand what i'm saying and apologizes afterwards. hiiiiiiiiiiiirap magpalaki ng anak! so now! who says that raising kids is an easy task?

7 comments:

PinayWAHM said...

Not me...I didn't say madaling magpalaki ng anak...hehe. Kidding here Bong.

I can totally understand your reason for doing what you did. Some parents may not but hey, we have to do what we have to do, right? The spank may have hurt him a bit physically but I'm sure it hurt you more than anything else. And yes, sometimes we have to break our promise to get our point across.

The husband here also hates lying so he hates it when the little asks questions beyond her comprehension.

I hope you're feeling a wee bit better. How did the little man take it?

J

livnrae said...

Sometimes, we didnt realise about something we do. I remember when we were small, my father ever spanked my brother once because he steal my parents money just to get a kite (it was the season). But, I think I can understand my dad. So as other siblings. There's no hard feeling after that. Hmm, i wonder what kind of mother am i gonna be to Amanda. Must be a hard job :)

Sam said...

Bong regarding with your eldest, i can relate to your child. Kasi ganun din ako, aayyay... Based on studies pag ganyan ang attitude pirme mo daw i-hug or kiss. They need acknowledgment.

Try to study the Neuro Linguistic Programming...

PinayWAHM said...

Hey Bong....

Ngayon lang ako nakasilip here kasi busy ako kunwari...hahaha. Parenting is such a challenge. No wonder our parents would say something like: Just wait until you become a parent yourself. Well, actually my parents didn't say that to me kasi good girl ako....hahaha.

And to answer your question if there's any other way to deal with situations like our kids crossing the line....I have no idea! Seriously. Ang dami kong ideas when I was not a parent yet but as soon as I became one....poof! Nawala lahat...parang magic....

Hey...I'll learn from you kasi you're way ahead of me. Ang akin is only 6 years old so I have a lot to learn pa.

I think you're doing what you think is best. Like I said in my earlier comment, we have to do what we have to do.

Enjoy the weekend with the family, k?

J

Unknown said...

dont be too hard on them and on yourself,bro,did you know that every human being has the tendency to lie, and we always lie for a reason, find out the reason, and correct him, give him and hug and kisses and assure him as parent we love our children

PinayWAHM said...

Musta ang weekend nyo Bong? I hope it was a good one.

Enjoy the week!

J

Miss Elle said...

well i can't blame you kuya bong. as they say, there's no perfect parent but the fact that you acknowledge the feeling of guilt and remorse of spanking him is a good sign. it means that you know your limitation and you're just being a responsible dad who wants nothing else in this worlds but the best for your kids.